Licence Eligibility Order Guide

If your offence was committed on or after 30 April 2018, you must go to the VicRoads website for information about getting your licence back.  

Completion of a behaviour change program may also be required for offences committed on or after 30 April 2018.

You will need to apply for a Licence Eligibility Order if you've been disqualified from obtaining a driver’s licence due to:
  • a drink driving offence
  • a drug driving offence
  • a combined drink and drug driving offence
  • a serious motor vehicle offence
  • an offence of dangerous or negligently driving while pursued by police
  • an offence of theft or attempted theft of a motor vehicle
  • if the disqualification was under s89A of the Sentencing Act 1991 (this should be noted in the court order).
The guide below outlines what you are required to do to obtain a Licence Eligibility Order, including whether an Alcohol Interlock Condition must be imposed on your licence.

Go to the Licence Eligibility Order Guide

NOTE: If this is your first drink driving offence*, and either: 


a.       your offence was committed before 1 October 2014 and your Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) was below 0.07; or

b.       your offence was committed on or after 1 October 2014 and your BAC was below 0.10

you are not required to obtain a Licence Eligibility Order to be re-licensed. 

Please contact VicRoads directly for further information about obtaining your licence on 13 11 71 or at the VicRoads website

*Does not include a combined drink and drug driving offence

Go to the Licence Eligibility Order Guide

I need a court order before VicRoads will re-issue my licence. What do I need to do?  

For the purposes of restoring your licence, the relevant court order is called a ‘Licence Eligibility Order’. To obtain this order, you will need to attend the nearest Magistrates’ Court venue to where you reside to make an application for the order.

You will need to provide the Court with information regarding your offence (e.g. date of offence, which offence you were disqualified from driving for, the BAC level recorded if applicable).

There are two ways that a person may be disqualified from obtaining a licence for offences such as drink and/or drug driving or other applicable offences (eg. assault, theft, possess drugs):

  1. Following an on-the-spot ticket
  2. By order of a court

If you lost your licence as a result of an on-the-spot infringement, the disqualification period usually operates 28 days after the issue of the infringement. In this situation, for the purpose of making an application for Licence Eligibility Order, you must supply the Court with a copy of the infringement notice or an extract of your driving history, which is obtained from VicRoads. The notice or extract will contain the necessary details regarding your offence.

If you lost your licence at a Victorian Magistrates' Court, these details should be recorded in the court register, however you should supply any information you have in order to identify the correct record.

The Court will ask for the applicable fee and fix a hearing date for your application. The hearing date must be at least 28 days after you file your application and be a date after your disqualification period has ended. You may file your application prior to the end of the disqualification period, but the Court can only hear it once the disqualification period is finished. Accordingly, it is recommended that you attend the Court at least 28 days before your disqualification period ends to file your application and pay the fee.

During the period between the filing of the application and the hearing date, the police may contact you to arrange an interview regarding your application.

If your application for a Licence Eligibility Order is successful, you will be given a form to take to VicRoads so that you can arrange to have your licence re-issued.

If you are unsure whether any or all of these requirements apply to you, please go to our Driver's Licence Eligibility Order Guide which will ask you a series of questions regarding the offence and provide you with a summary of what needs to be completed before your hearing date. Alternatively, contact your nearest Magistrates’ Court for further advice.

Area of Legislation: